Thursday, August 11, 2011

1982 Toyota Starlet a.k.a. bulilit




MYKP61






01-2006

After looking for quite some time, I finally found a really clean and stock (almost) Starlet.
Best part is, the guy even towed it to my house!


It had small mods like the JDM Lisse Badge, Bugeye Tails, TRD Rear spoiler and PIAA headlamps.
Suspension was lowered with generic front coilover sleeves and cut rear spings.






03-2006

Interior took a couple of hours and a bucket full of dirt before it started looking like this - I should've taken some before shots.




Just added new interior stuff

330mm Nardi steering wheel
Pair of Recaro N-joy seats
Retro-fitted center console
Aluminum-finish dash inserts
Sabelt seatbelt
Re-upholstered back seats








04-2006

AME Racing 13x7 on Yokohama A539 175/50/13
Fender Mirrors
and some polishing....







05-2006

Getting ready for TORC / All ToyotaFest '06
Added some more parts


Cusco Front/Rear Strut bars



Weber 32/36 DD


Got 2nd place :)






08-2006

Got new Shoes!!!
Advan A3A 13x6




05-2007

It's almost been my daily driver for the past 1.5yrs; it never had any major problems. I guess the previous owner did a great job! But I always craved for more power and would often think about doing an engine swap.

Too much lurking into forums, looking at others' clean, modded kp's made me decide to go for it.

Plan was to do a high horse 4AG swap. Since it was common, I figure it'll be easy looking for a shop/mechanic. But after doing some research/homework, I realized that it's wayyyy over my budget. Juicing out the 4K engine would be cheaper.

Stage III would be best since I wanted to get the most (at least) out of the little 4K engine. It would be perfect since I got myself another daily driver - this'll be more of a weekend joy!


08-2007

Found a local mechanic who's up for the job and make things happen. He required the engine - which was great! I get to keep the car at home.

Now off to work...





Planned setup was:
- Port/Polish
- TRD spec cams
- OS Valves
- Toyota 5K Pistons
- Dual Weber 40s
- Lightened Flywheel

Mechanic estimated 2 months to complete the job.
So the waiting begins............................................



08-2008

Still waiting..............................

08-2009

Still waiting..............................

06-2010

FINALLY!!!
Got the engine back





I can't believe it took almost 3years... But the important thing is that my engine's back! Looks good so far; missing some parts like the Flywheel, Oil cap, Harness, Fuel cap...

But I'm still happy I got it back


Test fitting the intake/exhaust manifold




08-2010

Off to RACETOYS / DB Autocare for completion






03-2011

Woohoo!!! I Finally got the car

Thanks to:

Kuya Ray and Dee of RACETOYS/DB Autocare

Kuya Rodel
Jon 'backspin' - you da man!




Current pics of the car





Got Bud? (poor mans catch can)






4K Headers fab'd by Rodel





Stainless steel exhaust by RACETOYS






Thanks for looking!

For comments/suggestions
jason@j-werkz.com


9 comments:

  1. nice starlet, Hey I was wondering where did you get the intake manifold? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Got it from Australia (made by Redline)
      http://www.redlineauto.com.au/products/product/12-3062?category=BFLXHVLE&

      Delete
  2. Your Starlet is BEAUTIFUL. How much power does it make with the new build? Those headers in the pictures when you got the motor back... Who makes them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not really sure but it's not that much :)
      Headers was purchased from a forum member (kp61.net), let me know if you want it.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Starlet! Where did you score that grille?

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you still have this starlet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the diameter of the exhaust pipes, is a 4-1 or 4-2-1?

    ReplyDelete